The UC Book initiative commenced in late 2012. The goal was to provide all incoming Undergraduate students, and all University staff, with a copy of a book each year, that would be integrated into the teaching of course materials.
To enable the distribution of books, a system was built that:
- Emailed all eligible staff & students with an email explaining the UC Book initiative, with links to accept an offer for either a hard copy or e-book version of the novel.
- After selecting a response, the system emailed staff & students with a voucher corresponding to their choice, and instructions on redeeming it.
- E-book copies were redeemed using the Kobo eReader app or device.
- Hard copies were distributed via the UC Co-Op Bookshop, with staff marking off the collections using an online portal that saved the details of each pickup to a database.
In the second iteration, the system was expanded to:
- Include a self service portal, allowing staff & students to change their choice from e-book to hardcopy, or vice versa, if they changed their mind. This significantly reduced the number of service requests logged asking for assistance in changing responses.
- The self service portal also allowed staff & students to opt-out of reminder emails about the UC Book project.
- Added an Administration portal to manage the timing and distribution of all email notifications across all user groups.
This project makes use of: